Professional Career After 10th
Stream selection : – The most important decision after class 10th is opting for the right stream of study. Selecting the right stream is really important as your future depends on it. Stay away from the herd mentality of going for the course your friends are enrolling for or the one your parents are suggesting. This erroneous and perilous practice often leads to faulty career choices as in doing so you opt for the stream without actually understanding what lies in store after joining it.
Different streams that are available after Class 10th
- Science – The Usual Favorite:
- Science A-Group(Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics)
- Science B-Group (Physics, Chemistry, Biology)
Science is the most sought after the course and one that almost every parent wants their child to take up as this stream has a number of rewarding career opportunities including engineering, medical, and research in different domains.
Another major advantage is that it allows students to change streams and take up Arts or Commerce later in their lives if they are not at ease with programs or specializations available at the graduation level.
Quite the reverse is the case of Arts or Commerce students who cannot elect to choose science subjects at the undergrad level. Those aspiring to be engineers should opt for PCM or Physics + Chemistry + Mathematics as core subjects, or one can go for PCMB i.e. Physics + Chemistry + Mathematics + Biology, especially if medical is the career goal. The subjects studied in this course are Physics, Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology, Computer along with English depending on the board and medium you opt for.
- Commerce Group (Accounts, Statistics, Economics, Business studies) :
Best for Business, commerce is known as the second most popular stream. If you are fascinated by numbers, finances, and economics, commerce is for you. The stream has promising and handsomely paying professions like Chartered Accountants, Company Secretaries, Accountants, Investment Banking and Financial Advisors.
- Arts / Humanities Group (History, Geography, Economics ): Humanities or Arts hitherto known as the least preferred stream and limited to students who were interested in academic research, is now emerging as a sought after career choice as today there are opportunities galore in this domain including some interesting.
Other Career Paths after Class 10
- Vocational courses: Students can decide on job-oriented courses like Interior Designing, Fire and Safety, Cyber Laws, Jewellery Designing, Fashion Designing etc.
- Polytechnic courses: Another option is to enroll for Polytechnic courses and those with Polytechnic diploma can get admission in the second year of technical degree courses through entrance exam as the subjects learned in polytechnic are same as those in Engineering. Duration for a Polytechnic course is three years after 10th.
Scholarship Based Exams:
- Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana (KVPY): The Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana (KVPY) is an on-going National Program of Fellowship in Basic Sciences, initiated and funded by the Department of Science and Technology, Government of India, to attract exceptionally highly motivated students for pursuing basic science courses and research career in science.
- National Talent Search Examination (NTSE): The National Talent Search Examination (NTSE) is a national-level scholarship program at the secondary school level to identify and recognize students with high intelligence and academic talent.
- Olympiads: Olympiads are the school-level competitive examinations focused on the school syllabus or curriculum. Numerous independent organizations (private and governmental organizations) conduct these exams at the national level & international level which give exposure to school students in this competitive world.
Importance of Scholarship Based Exams:
The aim of the program is to identify and encourage talented and motivated students to pursue career in research. This program aims to assist the students to realize their potential and to ensure that the best scientific talent is groomed for research and development in the country.
- A rank in the Olympiad helps students explore their talent.
- Questions asked in these exams are more conceptual and tricky which requires students to understand the topic well. This ultimately improves their routine class results.
- It helps students to test their understanding, level of knowledge and power of reasoning.
- It helps to cultivate the analytical and logical thinking in the students which is quite useful for any competitive exam.
- Awards and recognitions is another prominent advantage you get by taking Olympiad exams.
!!! All the Best !!!
Consider these options well and opt for the stream that appeals you most. However, if eventually, you think you are not being able to cope, don’t lose heart as after your 12th you can change your career course and take up Law, Sports, Mass communication, etc. Depending on your interests.
Important Note related to Your Decision :
If the decision they once took out of peer pressure, parental pressure or due to lack of knowledge, now becomes the burden of their life. Hence, it is very important for any student to choose the stream carefully for better career prospects in the future.